Saturday, July 27, 2013

Big Secret Revealed

Extreme Makeover: Bedroom Edition

Today was a wonderful day. I have been keeping a big secret for a long time and today it was revealed. First some background:

Several years ago Haley asked her dad to paint her room red. I'm talking dark red. I was not at all a fan of the idea, but she explained to us that because of her migraine, she wanted a dark color so she could go in there and rest without the light hurting her eyes. So, of course, her dad complied. I always hated the color because it seemed more like a cave than a room. She had mentioned to me that if her migraine went away, she might want her room to be yellow.

A few weeks ago, I made a call to the "Head Angel", Karen, and asked her if she knew of anyone who was uniquely gifted with decorating as I was thinking of getting her a new bedspread and maybe a few throw pillows. I would be happy to fund the "sprucing" but I didn't have a flair for decorating.  I wanted to spruce up her room for when she would be able to get back into it. (She's still in the hospital bed in the living room because the stairs are just too much and, frankly, not safe.) I thought that I may be able to persuade my painter husband (summer-only painter, teacher the rest of the year) to paint her room for her at some point.

The next thing I knew, there was a full-scale makeover planned for the room. There were over 30 people involved and boy did they get going. The whole operation was spearheaded by Kristin, who is an amazing decorator. Larry was able to paint the room to coordinate with the new quilt that they bought. Curtains were bought and hung, as were lamps, a pillow, a throw, several picture frames, and various other tidbits. There are even plans underway to re-carpet the room thanks in part to Donna speaking with a local carpet company who is willing to carpet it at a discounted price! (Thanks, Weavers!!) Needless to say, this army of angels have been hard at work. Some were able to provide ideas, some hands-on labor, and some financial backing!

Needless to say, I have become a wonderful liar! Who knew I was so good at it. I have told Haley more lies in the past few weeks than I have in her whole life! I so wanted to keep everything a secret so that she would be surprised and boy, was she!!

On July 17, while we were in Maryland seeing Dr. Henderson, folks were at our house taking Haley's furniture out of her room so it could be painted.  Also, John W. came to install a new curtain rod. Karen and Kristin came by to drop off the bedding. On the way home from Md., I was texting Kristin to see if John was out of the house yet. She suggested that I might have to make up a story about a leaky toilet to explain his presence if he was still there when we got home. (What's one more lie?) He was gone and she suspected nothing.

So here a just a few of the before pictures. Actually, Larry was already in the process of painting and the furniture was already piled in the middle of the room.  Notice the color of the walls and of the furniture.
 

Now here is the finished product. Notice the framed things over the bed. They are things like ticket stubs from Broadway shows, pictures of some of her favorite people, a favorite verse, her most recent letter from Joni, a head shot of Lea Salonga (her fav Broadway actress), the Hunger Games dude, who is her celebrity crush, and her picture of zebras (medical oddities are referred to as "zebras").  Each of these treasures was smuggled out of the house by me and given to Kristin, who, with the help of others, matted and framed them (Kathy was the mat queen!)




 
 
 


This kind of says it all!!

So today, Burress, our church's music minister, and his family came over to sing with Haley, as he has been doing weekly since she's been sick. He mentioned to her that he had asked a few other people to join him. Haley didn't know that these were many of the ones who had re-done her room. We sang and some ladies (Donna and Julie) set up a party bagel in the kitchen (that was Haley's idea--Let's feed the singing people! haha). After we sang, Kristin gave her a card with the names of all of those who had a part in the project and then the card said for her to go up to her room. She looked puzzled, but with the help of Larry and some of the men, she ascended the stairs... slowly. Her sister Paige and I had sneaked up ahead of her to snap some pictures. Here is her face when she saw her "new" room.

What a great day. Before she even knew about the big surprise, she read a passage of Scripture and thanked everyone who was there for supporting her so well along this journey. What a sweet time we had. She told me later that she wishes she can spend time in her new room. I sort of wish we had an elevator in the house so she could!! But, as I told her, she is getting stronger every day and will be climbing those stairs in no time.

I know this was a long post, but I had to share all that has gone on here. It's really been over a month's work! Thanks to all who had any part in putting this look on her face! Our family continues to stand in awe of all that God has done and thankful for who He has used!









3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH THAT'S AWESOME!!!!
    Oh and as if it wasn't already obvious we were supposed to be BFFs... my new-ish bedroom is the same yellow and my walls are plastered with pictures, ZEBRAS, MUSICAL THEATRE posters... you get the idea ;)
    I MISS YOU AND LOVE YOU!!!! XOXO
    P.S. - The "please prove you're not a robot" feature is making me doubt my human-ness... O.o Not very zebra-friendly I guess, HAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really happy for Haley! Her honor for the Lord shines so brightly and the yellow of her room could very well represent it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The smile on Haley's face is priceless! I saw the pics a while back, but in my insomnia, I was checking the blog...and glanced over this photo again....and truly this just brought joy and delight to my heart!

    ReplyDelete