Thursday, January 15, 2015

Back to Dr. H

Things have gone from bad to worse for Haley. She has had several episodes of her "fainting" spells coming one on top of the other. She has been taken by ambulance twice to the ER, only to be sent home after getting IV fluids. Sometimes she can go a pretty long time (close to an hour) without passing out; other times I've timed the passing out at every 30-50 seconds. This is so difficult on her and on us. She cannot be left alone at all. Yesterday, she began to vomit while she was passed out. Even though I am a nurse, I was ill-equipped (literally) to make sure her airway was secure. It is really easy to aspirate liquid into the lungs when consciousness is altered.

Phone calls were made to Dr. Henderson and he would like to see her at the hospital in Maryland to do a procedure to check her spinal fluid to try to find a cause for these spells. We will travel to see him on Wed. Jan 21. He will likely keep her overnight and do other tests. Please pray for an answer and a remedy for her.

Our family has also suffered another difficult trial in the past few days. My mother passed away in her sleep on January 5th and we all (except Haley) traveled to Long Island for the funeral. This was a big shock, and very, very difficult for me, especially. I have postponed the start of my semester of grad school until things calm down at home, but I am anxious to get back, as this is my final semester and I am hoping to graduate on May 7th. For now, we all live moment-to-moment, which is a challenge. We are relying on friends to come and stay with Haley so that we can run out to do a quick errand here and there, and we will be hiring folks to stay with her so that we can work and so that I can be at my practicum site.

Will you pray for us? Haley feels so isolated and discouraged. Just last evening, she had several friends stop by for a visit, and it really boosted her spirits. Please pray for:

  • Dr. H to figure this thing out and correct it
  • For Haley to tolerate the procedure and the travel to and from Maryland
  • For Larry and me to have the resources and stamina to care for her
  • For friends/family who will offer to help us care for her
  • For us to see God's hand in all of this, even when things are so bleak.
As always, thank you for your concern, support and prayers. They are keeping us afloat!

1 comment:

  1. Chicos! Continually praying for you all. Praying specifically for the Lord to provide answers, wisdom, peace, stamina, and rest when needed. Amy, I'm so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. I'm sure it's hard to comprehend and grieve while life is already stressful. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete